American Citizenship

A person may become a United States citizen by birth or through naturalization. Generally, if you are born in the United States or born to U.S. citizens, you are born a U.S. citizen, unless you are born to a foreign diplomat. You are also considered a U.S. citizen at birth if you were born in Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Your birth certificate will be your proof of your U.S. citizenship.

If you were born abroad to parents who are both an American citizen and at least one of them have lived in the United States some times in his/her life. If you are born abroad, your birth is registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, and that record will be proof of your citizenship. If you want your citizenship to be recognized, you may also obtain an American passport. You may also obtain additional proof of your citizenship by filling out Form N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship, with USCIS and obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. To request a Form N-600, you need to call the USCIS Forms Line at 1-800-8703676 or download the document online.

If you are born abroad to one United States citizen and one foreign citizen, you may be considered a U.S. citizen if you meet the following requirements:

If you are a U.S. citizen by birth, you may be eligible to become a citizen through naturalization. People who are eighteen years old or older need to file a Form N-400, Application for Naturalization to become naturalized.

Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. You can check the date you were granted permanent resident status on your Permanent Resident Card, which formally was known as Alien Registration Card.

Remember that you should always be honest with USCIS. If you have previously been arrested or convicted, you need to report that on your application even if you have not been arrested or convicted. These records will not disqualify you from becoming a U.S. citizen. However, if you do not tell the USCIS officer about any criminal incident, your application will be denied instantly, even if you have not committed any major crime.

Visa Classifications

Green Cards

US Citizenship

Additional Resources

Google Search

Google Translate