Naturalization Application

To file for your naturalization application, you need to send your completed Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, to the USCIS. You need to submit the form to the appropriate USCIS Service center. Make sure you make a copy of your application. You may be asked to submit your application with other additional documents, but in some cases, you will not be asked to submit the originals. Read the instructions carefully and see what the citizenship requirements are.

The naturalization process is time-consuming and complicated, especially for those who are disabled. USCIS provides special accommodations for those people who are disabled. If you are in a wheelchair, they will let you to go to wheelchair accessible locations to e.g. take fingerprints. If you are hearing impaired, you will be allowed to bring a sign language interpreter for your interview.

The time it takes to be naturalized varies from one local office to another. It has been taking about two years to process an application. However, USCIS is trying to speed up the process and aiming to decrease the time it takes to be naturalized to maximum one year.

The next thing you will be asked to do after you have submitted your application is to take fingerprints. USCIS will tell you where you need to go to be fingerprinted after they have received your application. If you want to determine your status of your naturalization process, you may call the Service Center where you have submitted your application.

After you have submitted your application for naturalization, you will be scheduled to have an interview. Remember that it is very important that you go to the interview on the scheduled day on time. If you cannot make it to the interview, you must let the office where you are scheduled to have the interview know as soon as possible. In your letter, you have to ask your interview to be rescheduled. However, If you decide to reschedule your interview, the naturalization process will take even longer. It may add additional six to eight months to the process. Therefore, try to go to the interview on the date that is scheduled for you. If you don’t go to the interview without letting the office know, your case will automatically be closed. You may contact USCIS within one year to reopen your case. Otherwise, your application will be denied without any notice.

If you have moved and your mail address changes, you must let USCIS know. You can call the USCIS Forms Line (1-800-870-3676) and ask for Form N-600, an "Application for Certificate of Citizenship";, to USCIS, and they will give you a Certificate of Citizenship. The child may obtain a passport or Certificate of Citizenship at any time regardless of their age. If none of the situation listed above applies to you, you may still be eligible to apply for your or your child’s citizenship. As mentioned earlier, if you or your child was adopted, he/she is considered a Permanent Resident. If you or your child by birth or adoption is not a Permanent Resident, one of the child’s parents must be a citizen for you or the child to obtain citizenship. You must file a F-600, an “Application for Certificate of citizenship”. However, the child needs to meet the following requirements:

Visa Classifications

Green Cards

US Citizenship

Additional Resources

Google Search

Google Translate